Wednesday, January 7, 2009

And Another One Goes Down For the Count!

Seems like we're running out of lenders these days. Nuvell/National closed there doors today, giving their people 6 months severance pay or a chance to apply for a job at GMAC. Based on the agreement that GMAC had to make in order to become a bank holding company, it seems doubtful that they are in an expansion move, so I guess we'll just add a few more folks to the ranks of the unemployed.

I have friends who work for Nuvell/National, and worked for National nine years ago as their south Florida Area Sales Manager. I have tried to do business with them since I've been back in the seat, and while it hasn't been easy, we have managed to fund a couple of deals with them each month. The truth is, I've try to fund deals fund deals with every one of my lenders. I firmly believe in NOT putting all my eggs in one basket, and as such, when one lender shuts down, or tightens up, I'm not stuck without someplace else to go with a deal.

No doubt business is getting harder these days. HSBC, Triad, Wells Fargo, and now Nuvell/National have all fallen by the wayside. It started last year, when AmeriCredit and Wells Fargo upped their minimum criteria for applications, and followed by HSBC and Triad pulling out. Funding slowed down with some of my other lenders, but they warned us ahead of time, and we were prepared to ride out the rough times along side them. Lenders have long memories, and I'm confident that my patience will pay off several times over in the long run.

My friend a Nuvell/National told me yesterday that it all came down to their cost of funds, and the inability to remain profitable as that cost increased. It probably won't be the last time we hear this story. Lenders and dealers who are in a position to ride out the storm will undoubtedly came out stronger and more profitable. Hang on tight, and look for smoother waters ahead. It's all we can hope for these days!